Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Bill Clinton Opens Mouth, Inserts Racist Foot (Again)



In an interview with WHYY's Susan Phillips yesterday, President Clinton discussed his comments about the South Carolina primary and Jesse Jackson, dismissing voters' concerns that he'd been surreptitiously injecting racism into the campaigning:

"You gotta really go some to play the race card with me--my office is in Harlem".

Yikes. I suppose we should be grateful President Clinton didn't say that some of his best friends were black. He did come close, though.

Listen carefully at the end of the tape, too, when the interview is over but the mic's still live. Our erstwhile egalitarian, who has criticized Senator Obama for using identity politics yet has referred to himself as "the first black president" more times than I've had hot dinners--and let's not even go into his use of gender politics--refers to the reporter's line of questioning with this telling and FCC-rule-violating touch of class:

"I don't think I should take any shit from anybody about that, do you?"

Also at Cogitamus.

No comments:

Post a Comment