Sunday, May 01, 2011

"These are the things I know are true": Journey of the Bonesetter's Daughter on PBS May 8

Watch the full episode. See more PBS Presents.



Congratulations to my friend Amy Tan on the success of an epic project: turning her bestselling novel The Bonesetter's Daughter into an opera.

Posted above is a preview of the "making-of" documentary, to be aired on PBS next Sunday, which promises to tell the story-within-the-story (the operatic within the opera?) I can't wait!

In 2005, I was fortunate to have traveled to New York for my birthday; that weekend, over Mallomars and coffee at Amy's kitchen table, I got to observe Amy and Stewart working on the opera during its early creative phase. The Bonesetter's Daughter, performed by the San Francisco Opera, opened in that city to glowing reviews in 2008.

I didn't make it to San Francisco that fall, alas. But New York is a much quicker hop--perhaps Broadway next year, Amy?!

No comments:

Post a Comment