Sunday, April 11, 2010

For Poland, in solidarity



Stefania Woytowicz, soprano, sings Wiosna (Spring), Op. 74, No. 2., one of various works by Polish romantic poets for which Frédéric Chopin composed melodies; all were gifts to his beloved, Maria Wodzińska, whom he adored but was too ill to marry.

The bright beauty of this spring morning seems appropriately defiant, given the sadness shrouding our world, every moment, in every country. May the people of Poland turn to their artist's heart and find comfort today.

Wiosna (Spring)

Błyszczą, krople rosy,
Mruczy zdrój po błoni,
Ukryta we wrzosy
Gdzieś jałowka dzwoni.
Piękną, miłą błonią
Leci wzrok wesoło,
Wkoło kwiaty wonią,
Kwitną gaje wkoło.

Paś się, błąkaj trzódko,
Ja pod skałą siędę,
Piosnkę lubą, słodką
Śpiewać sobie będę.
ustroń miła, cicha!
Jakiś żal w pamięci,
Czegoś serce wzdycha,
W oku łza si` kręci.

Łza wybiegła z oka,
Ze mną strumyk śpiewa,
Do mnie się z wysoka
Skowronek odzywa.
Lot rozwija chyży,
Ledwo widny oku,
Coraz wyżej, wyżej...
Zginął już wobłoku.
Ponad pola, niwy,
Jeszcze piosnkę głosi
I śpiew ziemi tkliwy
W niebo aż zanosi!

Stefan Witwicki (1801-1847)

Wiosna (Spring)

Sparkling dewdrops glisten,
Streamlet water splashing,
In the heather, listen,
Cowbells gently clashing.
In the meadow's elegance
Every view is alluring;
Flowers spread their fragrance,
Every bush is blooming.

Little flock, go wander
While I play my sweet song;
At the rock o'er yonder,
To myself I'll sing along.
Quiet place and lonely,
Pleasant contemplation;
Yet my heart can only
Weep with desolation.

Teardrops on my face mark
The river in me rising;
High above a skylark
Echoes my reprising;
Spreads his wings and soars there
Almost out of sight,
Higher, higher, higher,
Clouds conceal his flight.
Over stream and and field long
Since his notes are ringing;
With them my heart's sad song
Heavenward is winging!

No comments:

Post a Comment