Friday, March 23, 2007

Friday Frank: Joe Satriani, Steve Vai & Eric Johnson Play My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama


My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama is one of my favorite Zappa songs (okay, so perhaps there are are a few of those). My boys love it too--they make me crank up the volume whenever I play the CD in my car. I don't take it personally--it's the rock-'n-roll equivalent of a quadruple espresso and is therefore in frequent rotation during morning (rush-to-school) drive.

Hopefully someone will find a clip of Frank himself performing the song and pop it on Youtube. In the meantime, I hope everyone enjoys this version, which showcases some exhilarating licks by Steven Vai, Eric Johnson, and the ever-brilliant Joe Satriani, whom I saw live at Tampa Theatre, a relatively tiny and wonderfully atmospheric venue, a few years ago. Unsurprisingly, the audience was almost entirely made up of musicians and their dates and mates.

Later I tried to call you,
Your mama told me you weren't there.
She told me don't bother to call again
Unless I cut off all my hair...
(H/T megahaker.)

No comments:

Post a Comment